Parenting is difficult, so it should come as no surprise that these frustrated parents scolded a dog for being in the baby’s nursery, but in this case it was probably a good thing that the dog was acting up.
Henry is an eight-year-old Boston Terrier, and no, he is normally “not a fan of children” but that doesn’t mean that he isn’t watching over his human siblings. Recently, the dog was being hyper-vigilant and it was getting on the family’s nerves because he kept breaking through the baby’s nursery. However, once the parents checked on the baby, they realized that his vigilance had paid off in a huge way.
The baby had been sick, but Kelly Andrew and her husband had no clue how serious her condition was until Henry had begun misbehaving one night. Despite admonishing the little dog until the cows come home, Henry continued to force his way into the baby’s nursery, and that is when the family finally decided that something must be wrong with the baby.
Andrews shared this harrowing story in Snapchat that has now gone viral.
“Last night the dog kept breaking into the nursery and waking the baby. She’s been sick, and I was getting so fed up with him. Until she stopped breathing.”
She told the Hartford Courant that the dog had gone into the nursery at least five times, and these frustrated parents couldn’t understand why he was doing it until they put two and two together. The Andrews family soon realized that the dog was trying to draw their attention to the baby’s medical issues.
“I could hear his head hit the door and I could see her bedroom door from downstairs swing open. I knew he had gone inside so I shooed him away,” Andrews recounted. “I went in … I was furious with the dog, but then noticed she was very rigid and struggling to breathe. We tried suctioning her, but she started to turn a little blue.”
Immediately after that, the parents rushed their daughter to Hartford Children’s Hospital, where the infant was treated with a suction to help her clear her airway and making it difficult to breathe. According to the Snapchat update, the little girl was on the mend and is now “doing much better.” The family is now back home with Henry, and they noted how he “bravely held the fort even though he was scared of the dark.”
“I’ve read about stories like this, but we’ve never had one to my knowledge in the department,” Dr. John Brancato, medical director for the ER at Hartford Children’s told NBC Connecticut.
While the phenomenon may not be familiar to Dr. Brancato, other dog lovers around the world shared similar stories about canine instinct and heroism.
“When my brother was dying, the dog knew before anyone else did,” one user tweeted. “He refused to leave my brother and kept trying to attract attention. I am 100% he knew something was wrong. Dogs are amazing. Pay attention when they become restless around somebody. It can save a life.”
“Dogs are saviors,” wrote another. “Many years ago my ex-girlfriend’s dog kept barking at her to leave her bedroom upstairs. She was irritated with him because he wouldn’t stop barking. They walked downstairs, seconds later the entire ceiling collapsed onto her bed from burning electrical wiring.”
The Andrews family now realizes just how valuable it can be to trust the instincts of their canine friend.
“I don’t know what would have happened if he hadn’t woken her. We don’t deserve dogs,” the grateful mother wrote.
Henry is now being “treated like a king” and there is no question that he probably got an extra-large Christmas stocking this year. Frustrated parents no more!